Christ the King Lutheran Church established a Community Health Initiative in 2014 that has been overseen by Faith Community Nurse Lynn Lenort and the Health Cabinet and supported by the entire congregation. The goal of the initiative is to Help Our Community Stay Healthy targeting four areas: Nutrition, Exercise, Mental/Social Health and Medical.
CTK helps their community stay healthy through Nutrition by offering:
- Free Healthy Eating on a Budget classes led by a registered dietitian. Budget friendly and healthy meals are demonstrated and prepared on site with participants taking home a “fix and freeze” meal that can be frozen and eaten at a later date.
- Community Garden plots. Garden plots are available for $20.00 a season for the new larger boxes and $10.00 for the old smaller boxes..The gardens are watered four times a week and are pesticide and herbicide free.
- VEAP Garden Plots, Health Cabinet volunteers grow and donate all produce from 12 boxes to VEAP.
- Salsa making events using fresh garden ingredients to make and take a variety of
- Community Food Partnership with Bloomington/Richfield/Edina
CTK helps their community stay healthy through Exercise:
- Yoga taught Tuesday evenings, 6:30pm $10/session
- Outdoor Walk and Talks with a Nurse in June, July, and August.
CTK helps their community through Medical initiatives:
- On going blood pressure screening.
- Flu shot clinics in the fall.
- Help with creating health care directives.
- CPR/AED training.
- Faith Community Nurse.
The Christ the King Lutheran Church Community Health Initiative continues to be strong and grow with the goal of developing budget friendly activities geared toward helping and maintaining good health for all citizens of Bloomington.