We come together from over twenty churches across the country, from San Diego to New York, from small city churches to large suburban congregations. We come together to acknowledge that Christmas is not a joyful and bright time for everyone, and especially this year, Christmas feels different, even difficult. This Christmas is blue and quiet; this solstice night feels even longer and colder. Tonight we offer a journey through the night with companions through Scripture, song, prayer, and poetry. Our hope and prayer in this season that feels cold, blue, and alone, is that you join us for this service and make space for your griefs; that you might release the tears and burdens you could; and that you might leave taking up the hope you need for the journey ahead.
Contributing leaders and churches:
- Jeff Patry, First Lutheran Church of Columbia Heights, Minn.
- Pastor Emmy Kegler of Grace Lutheran Church in Northeast Minneapolis, Minn.
- Pastor Kirsten Fryer of Bethlehem Lutheran in the Midway, St Paul, Minn.
- Pastor Durk Thompson of Spirit of Christ Community Lutheran Church in Saint Louis Park, Minn.
- Pastor Analyse Triolo of Holy Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bellerose, New York
- Vicar Stephanie Luedtke and musicians of Saint Luke Lutheran Church in Bloomington, Minn.
- Pastor Natalia Terfa of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Brooklyn Park, Minn.
- Pastor Amanda Simons of Gustavus Adolphus Lutheran Church, St Paul, Minn.
- Pastor Scott F. Donnelly of Arlington Hills Lutheran Church, St Paul,. Minn.
- Pastor Carrie Chatelaine of First English Lutheran Church in Faribault, Minn.
- Pastor Jen Collins of Grace Lutheran Church in Apple Valley, Minn.
- Nate Crary and the musicians of Christ the King Lutheran in New Brighton, Minn.
- Pastor Megan Torgerson of Easter Lutheran Church in Eagan, Minn.
- Rev. Shannon V. Trenton of Church Hill United Methodist Church, Youngstown, Ohio.
- D.J. Chatelaine, Fairbault, Minn.
- Pastor Brenda Froisland of Bethel Lutheran Church in Minneapolis, Minn.
- Pastor Maria Anderson-Lippert of Christ the King Lutheran Church in Bloomington, Minn.
- Andy Pokel of Abiding Savior Lutheran Church, Saint Paul, Minn.
- Pastor Elise Pokel of Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Pastor Jill Bergman of First Lutheran in Columbia Heights, Minn.
- Pastor Manuel Retamoza of Saint Andrew's Lutheran Church in San Diego, Cali.
- Pastor Sarah Sumner-Eisenbraun of Saint Andrew's Lutheran Church in San Diego, Cali.
- Pastor Josh Evans of St. Philip Lutheran Church in Glenview, Illinois.
- Kjel Hanson of St. Philip Lutheran Church in Glenview, Illinois.
- Rev. Sarah Harrison-McQueen of Central United Methodist Church of Ballston, Virginia
- Phil Radtke of Bethel Lutheran Church in South Minneapolis, Minn.
"Lost in the Night," Olav Lee. © 1932 Concordia Hymnal. "Within Our Darkest Night," Communauté de Taizé, © 1991, Les Presses de Taizé, GIA Publications Inc. "Healer of our Ev'ry Ill," Marty Haugen, © 1987, GIA Publications, Inc. Reprinted with permission under OneLicense #A-737608. All rights reserved.