Christ the King was founded in 1955. Pastor Milo Englestad was called by the Evangelical Lutheran Church (Norwegian Synod) to develop a congregation in the new suburb of Bloomington. Due to a combination of Bloomington’s rapid growth and an earnest commitment to God’s mission, the congregation grew rapidly in its first two decades, and became one of the largest congregations of the American Lutheran Church (successor body) in the state of Minnesota. Four major building campaigns have been held, the first three of which included an expansion of the worship space. The fourth campaign, completed in the Spring of 2011, was for the purpose of enhancing the gathering space and improving the flow from worship space to the Social Hall, handicap accessibility, and an outdoor amphitheater.
The congregation throughout its history has been strongly committed to music and the arts, faith formation for all ages, and both global and local mission.
Pastor Englestad retired as senior pastor in 1986.
For more information on the history of Christ the King Lutheran Church, contact the church office at 952-881-8600.
Christ the King Senior Pastors
Milo Engelstad 1955-86
Kenneth DeFor 1986-99
Kristine Carlson 2000-06
Morris Wee 2000-07
Hans Lee 2008-2015
Rory Philstrom 2016 – Present